Monday, October 5, 2009

CooCoo for Cocoa Beach!!! (cheesy, but catchy)





So I write this from the children's library in the Agyapongs' main quarters as the internet is down in our guest quarters.  I have, however become quite well acquainted and comfortable with the interior of such childish establishments since being here. Hopefully, however, tomorrow the internet will be fixed and I can update on a more regular schedule. 

Now, about the weekend!

Saturday:
After a full morning of sleep (9 o'clock is ridiculously late to wake up in Ghana because everyone is in bed by 9) Ann Clair came over so we could all make a trip to the Beacon House. The Beacon House is the orphanage just next to the school. I have quickly grown to love this place and the amazing children that live there.  All of the children there have been brought in for very specific reasons varying from abuse at other orphanages to Hep A to HIV. At first, those last 3 letters scare you just as they did me, but when you spend time with these kids, all that goes away and you see that joy in life is possible through very dark circumstance. My heart fills up just typing this! (Ethel, the Agyapong's 4 year old girl just walked in.... distraction)  Later, the Agyapongs' took Ben, AnnClair, and I to a live music venue called Fiesta. A good night spent with a wonderful family!

Sunday:
We woke up to go to church with the A's (Agyapong really is too long to type at this time of night.. I mean come on, it's 8 o'clock here folks!) @ 7:00! People, I'm BAPTIST!!!!! There at 11 gone at 12:15 if the preacher's lucky!!! We got out @ 10:30, but the singing made the time fly.  I mean, that was the worst singing I've ever heard come from a black mouth (thanks to people like Aretha Franklin and Candace Parker), but they were so sincere! And singing louder than any person should for 3 hours! I recognized several old english hymns like "What a Friend We Have In Jesus" and "Just As I Am". A-mazing!  

This is a pic in the car on the way from church


We ate lunch after church at the Cocoa Beach Ramada! Cha-Ching!


Agnita, Ben, AnnClair, and Nona Adua walking on the beach


Nona Adua!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment